So what is on my "must have" list for the little explorers (and their moms or dads) out there?
Tent. This year we got a Mountain Hardwear Trango. Might seem a bit hardcore for mom/Daughter but with all the winter camping we do this is the perfect tent. I remember the first evening I got the tent, I easily put it up for the first time in the dark at 2am and had no problem doing so. It was also the first night we slept at on the icefield parkway without feeling the cold!
Mattress. This year we also got new pads for backpacking. We purchase 2 MEC Reactor women's sleeping pad. We do love them, for the price they were comfortable and indeed warm. However we did have to manually blow them up to make them firm. But really we didn't mind at all! It was comfortable! We also used them in winter with success.
Sleeping Bags. We purchased both sleeping bags from MEC. My daughter has the Explorer down sleeping bag and myself have the Aquilina Sleeping bag. We both love our sleeping bag and are more then satisfied with our purchased even in spring and fall we have been just fine with the 0c bags and would recommend them.
My favorite bag this year was for sure my Mountain Hardwear Ozonic Backpacking pack. I have nothing but good things to say about this bag. I carried over 65lbs on a 6 overnights trip as well as many other trips and never did it feel uncomfortable despite the weight I was carrying. And that is very important when carrying gear for two.
I am also LOVING my Mountain Hardwear chockstone Jacket. I wore it all summer. Literally on all my adventures from kayaking, hiking, scrambling, backpacking or even just camping around. Such a nice jacket!
Socks. My girl has been wearing smartwool socks on all of her adventures. They are great and keep her feet comfortable. We usually buy the thinner ones and the winter ones and combine them depending on the activities. I usually put an extra pair of dry thicker ones at nighttime when we are winter camping and add some warmers too.
Sunglasses. She loves to lose her sunglasses. LOVES it. So we really like the MEC Chinook sunglasses not only does she likes them because of their size and cuteness but they also look like moms sunglasses. She loves to pretend shes going on a big glacier adventure, and I got no problem with that!
Helmet. My little one has been wearing the Petzl Picchu Helmet for a few years now and we still love it. We use it for scrambling as well as climbing. She also wears it on her scooter when she wants to look a little more....Though? Ha!
Headlamp. This year I updated my headlamp for the Petzl Tikka R + Headlamp and I haven't regretted it! Best feature for me? It has a USB connection as well as battery if you are in remote areas. Which brings me to my next items....
Battery pack. Every thing I have now is UBS compatible and bringing a battery pack with me is essential. I bought the RavPower online and have had lots of success,and lots of charges out of it. I use it for all my accessories from my gopro, headlamp, phone and my amazing....
Inreach. I got my Inreach last Christmas and I used it for 3 seasons now. Let me tell you, it is a real piece of mind. It is nice to contact your love ones on week long trips. Or even better, in an emergency.If I could I would really like to purchase the newer version which is the explorer but the SE is still amazing. I would never leave without it. What a great addition to my gear.
MicroSpikes. Last winter my girl received these amazing Microspikes. I recommend them and also call it a necessity for certain time of year and certain hikes. She has used them various times and they are easy to put on, they are solid and most importantly they WORK!
- Rain or Shine Mamma - Holiday Gift Ideas for the Outdoorsy Kid + GIVEAWAYS
- Family Adventures in the Canadian Rockies - Holiday Gift Guide for Winter Hiking and Snowshoeing (with GIVEAWAYS)
- Rockies Girl - 2015 Gift Guide for Outdoor Families
- Outdoors Mom - A Gift Guide For The “OutdoorsMom”
- Wild Tales Of - 2015 Holiday Gift Ideas for the Young Traveler and Outdoor Adventurer
- Tales of a Mountain Mama - Gift Guide for Outdoor Families 2015 + Giveaways
- Play Outside Guide - Outdoor Lovers Holiday Gift Guide & Giveaway
- AdventurousParents.com - 5 Gift Ideas for Outdoorsy and On-The-Go Toddlers
- Brave Ski Mom - The 2015 BSM Holiday Gift Guide for Skiers and Snowboarders
- Go Adventure Mom - Holiday Gift Guide
- Mountain Mom and Tots - Best Gear of the Year + Links to Holiday Gift Guides
- OutdoorsyMama - 15 Things Your Outdoorsy Mama REALLY Wants for the Holidays! Gift Guide
- Wilder Child - Unique and Handmade Holiday Gifts for Your Little Nature Lover
- Nature for Kids - Rad Gifts For Outdoorsy Kids
- Moms Who Hike- Holiday Gear Guide
- Hike Like A Woman- Holiday Gear Guide