- Backpack: There is nothing better then having a good fitting backpack. Especially when you have young hikers and are carrying most of the gear.
Mom: I love my Osprey Ariel 65, it has been more then amazing on all my trips, from Mt. Rainier to all the backpacking trips carrying gear for two. I strongly recommend it.
Kids: My daughter used the Deuter Schmuse Bar all Spring/Summer and loved it. On our list this year is the Deuter Fox 30 that we will use on our overnight winter trips and backpacking next summer season.
- Clothing: The more we get out backpacking, the more I realize how grateful I am when we have clothing that fits our needs. Nobody is the same and we all have different fitting, but here are the clothing I simply could not go without on our last few trips.
Mom: A nice tank, I have been wearing the Prana Tunic top and I am in love. I use the tunic one since it has a built-in bra which means one less item to carry and it is longer which makes changing and washroom break this much easier while backpacking.
Kids: My daughter loves her MEC cozy thights and her cozy crew mid layer. This is perfect for my girl who gets chilly easily weather she is hiking, backpacking or simply enjoying some time around the campfire.
Mom: On my list this year is the uplink Hoodie from MEC. I can get so warm carrying all that gear in the summer but when we stop for the night it is another story. I am thrilled that this item is going to be underneath my Christmas tree this year.
Kids: My girl will be getting thePantagonia Hi-Loft Down Sweater for the same reasons as mama. It just gets chilly in the mountains at night and these are a must for next summer season.
- Sleeping Bags: I've camped since I was a child but never paid much attention to the sleeping bags until the day I started backpacking as a teen. The weight and warmth became much more important.
Mom: On my list this year is a new sleeping bag. I've used my winter bag all summer long since I got used to it and simply felt cold without it. But this summer carrying gear for two this sleeping bag started taking way too much space and the weight just became a burden. I will be looking at the MEC Aquila Sleeping bag since my daughter has had great success with her bag.
Kids: My daughter as been using her MEC Explorer down sleeping bag at least a dozen times this summer and it has been amazing. She never complained of the cold even on the nights where the temperature was nearing -5c which was surprising she also loves how comfortable it is, and of course it is pretty with little sheep pattern on the inside.
- To be on the safe side since I have been travelling in the backcountry for multiple days at a time with my daughter, my husband decided I should try the Delorme In Reach SE, it is currently hidden in my house, or else I'd already be playing with it. I am a kid at heart after all and I simply cannot wait to try it this winter.
- Can you imagine hiking all day with a 4 years old, trying to catch as many memories as possible on camera while crossing creeks or scrambling up and down a mountain side ? If you are an outdoor mom, you probably know what I mean! This is why this year I am hoping to get a Go Pro, I would rather edit later and enjoy the moment without having to stop, film and wait for pictures. This is very high on my list.
| || |
Looking for more ideas? Make sure to look up these other great ideas
- 10 easy gifts for outdoor adventurers
- The 2014 Holiday gift guide for ski moms and their skiing families